Volunteers have always been at the very heart of Alkira, having been founded by a courageous group of families and volunteer supporters who gave their time and talents to help the organisation flourish. Today, over 60 years later, Volunteers remain integral to Alkira and fulfil important roles such membership on our Board Of Directors; working alongside staff to deliver activities and programs; providing one-on-one support to assist individuals in the achievement of their personal goals and supporting participants in acquiring retail skills in our Op Shop and street stalls. The list of contributing Volunteers is long, as is the list of fresh opportunities available for new Volunteers.
WHY VOLUNTEER FOR ALKIRA?
Ask yourself – would you like to give back to your community? Have you got some spare time? You can make a real difference in the lives of people with a disability!
We have a vast array of volunteering opportunities available such as:
- supporting Alkira’s Recreation Service in after-hours activities which include attending festivals, visiting significant places of interest, and major sporting and theatre events;
- assisting in the many daytime programs such as barista training, band rehearsals, computer skills, urban fishing and wearable art;
- accompanying job-holders as they make their own way on public transport to their places of employment;
- participating in the all-abilities team that operates our award winning Op Shop
Whatever your involvement, your skills, knowledge and company will be welcome! We listen to what interests you and then place you in a suitable volunteering opportunity.
As an Alkira Volunteer, you will receive full training, support and regular feedback to help you enjoy your role.
HOW TO BECOME AN ALKIRA VOLUNTEER
The first step is to make an appointment with Alkira’s Volunteers Co-ordinator. This will involve a no obligation chat, and you will be provided with information on what Volunteering at Alkira involves and an indication of current vacancies. To proceed further, the process will be
- police check
- completion of appropriate paperwork
- induction session (3 hours)
- trial placement
YOUR NEXT STEP
Fill in the ‘Enquiry Form’ on this page to register your interest. You will hear back from our Volunteers Co-ordinator shortly.