Information about the NDIS
What is the NDIS?
Entering a new world of choice and control…
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a nationwide reform that that offers people with a disability complete choice and control of how they want to live their life and what their goals and objectives are. It will provide people with a disability with more independence and enable them to expect more from their disability service provider.
In fact, the NDIS will significantly change the way that disability service providers operate, diversify and how they are funded. Services will no longer receive block funding through the Department of Health and Human Services Individual Support Package (ISP), as NDIS funding will be provided directly to the individual.
At Alkira, we understand that the NDIS and other changes in the sector can be challenging, confusing and difficult to get your head around. We often get questions like “will I get less financial support”, “how will this affect me and my family”, and “how will I navigate the various options and activities on offer?”.
Rest assured that the team at Alkira will help make this journey as easy as possible for you and ultimately this scheme should provide you with a better experience through more choice and control.
Supporting you with the NDIS:
What is the NDIS and why do we need it?
The launch of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) came as a result of years of continuous discussions in Parliament about the need to address inequity in funding and services available for people with a disability on a national scale.
The NDIS has vowed that people with disability will not be worse of under the new system. In fact, the aim of the NDIS is to provide people with opportunities that they have not had before. However, it is important that before meeting with a NDIS Local Area Coordinator (LAC)/Planner, people prepare to ensure that there will not be any gaps in their funding.
The NDIS will pay for different supports for different people depending on their needs and goals. It will fund reasonable and necessary supports that will assist you, which could include:
- Regular personal care support
- Finding a job and earning an income
- Developing your capacity to actively get involved in your local community
- Becoming more independent
- Improving your health and wellbeing
Am I eligible?
The NDIS is available to people with physical disabilities, as well as those who are living with mental health (psychosocial disability) that significantly impacts their life.
There are a number of factors that will determine eligibility for NDIS supports. You may be eligible for an individual support plan if:
- You have a permanent or significant disability that affects your ability to participate everyday activities
- You are under 65 years of age (at the time you enter the NDIS)
- You are an Australia citizen, a permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen who is a Protected Special Category Visa holder; and
- You live in a region where the NDIS is available.
If you are unsure whether you are eligible to access the NDIS, please go to www.ndis.gov.au and complete “My Access Checker”. Alternatively please call Alkira on 9890 1365.
Steps to prepare:
You have identified that you are eligible, what do you do now?
Step one – Start to think about what services you want, your goals and your objectives. The planning process will cover your needs, goals and aspirations in your whole-of-life and you can decide to have family, carers, friends or other advocates to be part of your decision-making and planning process.
Think about what is important to you and ask yourself:
- What supports are you currently accessing and does these meet your needs?
- What would you like to learn?
- Where do you want to live?
- What have you always wanted to do, but perhaps got told that you couldn’t?
- Would you like to study, work or perhaps live independently?
- Do you feel that you have enough support to achieve your goals? If not, what kind of additional support would you benefit from?
Step two: Contact our friendly Alkira team members
If you are already accessing our services, then we might be able to assist you with your NDIS plan. We want to make the NDIS planning process as easy as possible for you, and our team members can help you answer any questions you may have.
- Our friendly team members offer one-on-one pre-planning sessions to our participants in preparation for their meeting with the NDIS planners. Please contact us to find out how to set-up a one-on-one pre-planning sessions
- A team member can support you during your planning meeting. We cannot make decisions on your behalf, but can be there to support you through the planning session.
Step three: Review your plan
Your NDIS plan will be reviewed with you planner at an agreed review dates. Most plans are reviews every 12 months. However, if you wish for the NDIS to review your plan, you can request a review with an NDIS planner at any time. If you are not happy with the plan you have been provider – make sure you request a review with a NDIS planner straight away.
For further information please contact Alkira on 9890 1365.